Sunday, November 9, 2008

Happy 29th birthday Mom!

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from making...
Mom's Cinnamon Rolls
2/3 cup - be prepared, learn how to store and use your food storage (powdered milk)
1 cup - Sweet is the work! How sweet it is when we serve one another (sugar)
2 cubes - moderation in all things, a little fat never hurt anyone (margarine)
2 cups - when you're in hot water, own up to it, learn from it, and be better (boiling water)

Combine above ingredients.
Soften 3 TBS rise to the occasion, always rise above and do your very best (yeast) in 1 cup warm water

Mix in:
6  - what came first, the chicken or the egg? Don't sweat the small stuff! (beaten eggs)
1 TBS - savor every moment, and don't look back (salt)
Add yeast mixture 

Gradually add 10-12 cups - character of substance (flour) to make a soft dough
Knead dough enough so it can be handled. (Very soft dough) Cover and let rise until double, about 30-40 minutes.
Put flour out and roll dough to a rectangular shape, about 1/2 inch thick. Spread top with softened butter or margarine (remember, moderation...)

Mix:
3/4 cup - sweet is the work (sugar)
1/4 cup - life should be a bit spicy, be adventurous (cinnamon)

Sprinkle on top. 
Optional:
Shriveled, humiliated life that has passed you by - (Raisins, eeeewww!) sorry if you like them
or have a sense of humor, learn to laugh at yourself (nuts, we like pecans)

Roll dough up tightly, starting on the long end. pinch ends. Cut cinnamon rolls with sewing thread 1 inch thick. Place on greased cookie sheet or cake pan if you have large rolls. Let rise about 20 minutes. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Frost with butter or cream cheese frosting while still warm.

YUMMY!



Too many cooks, spoil...whatever! We had so much fun, even if the kitchen was a little on the cozy side.

As you can see my pictures are not in any sense of sequence. I tried to fix the problem, but instead the problem fixed me. You will have to simply be entertained by the randomness that often prevails in our home.





The kids all had so much fun helping with every step of the way!



Love the tongue Aileena! Is it helping?



Even Jens got in on the action. He added egg shells, and as you can see from Aunt Heather's expression, he also helped put the flour in. When the measuring cup got nicked by the beater, well, you can figure the rest out by the flour strewn across, ummmm, everything!



YUM!
Thanks mom for all of the wonderful lessons you have taught us. 

4 comments:

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Awesome!!! I just posted mine!!! I love that you were all together!!

Trish said...

Oh, it is so great to see Heather and Sherm and the boys all there with you. What a special day, to make a special recipe, to remember times with a special, wonderful Mom. Okay, I am totally crying! Yep, proof once again, that I love you. :) Happy Birthday Mama Payne! I love you, too!

I am sure your Mom was there with you and Hope and Hilary for all of your cinnamon roll adventuring. What a way to celebrate such a wonderful life!

:) Love you all!

Heather said...

I am oohhing and awwing over these. I copied the recipe and I am going to tackle AFTER I move to Vegas.

Sheri Willardson said...

Those look absolutely heavenly! Thanks for the recipe-I am totally going to try them. What a great tribute to your mom!

And I love the naked little boy picture in the post below. He he-gotta love kids! :)